Thursday 5 July 2007

Charlie, Paul, Partying, Poker and a 2:1

I've just got my second year results and managed to average 62 without any fails (inc. a 1st in one exam paper and in one assessed essay). I'm pretty happy with my results after being called many things this year including a lazy bastard and a gambling addict. Well, I always like to put two fingers up to those who doubt me, however as I didn't get a first I feel this is a fair one finger salute.

Not too much celebrating until I get a day off work on Sunday.

1 comment:

oracle3001 said...

Answer to your previous comment, my normal game is 1/2, which I 8-table. At 2/4 I feel the money a bit more, and the skill level is a big jump. At the momment I am comfortable winner at 1/2 and that is good enough for me.

A 3-4 losing session is absolutely no big deal, it just happens sometimes. The same as I have times when I win 3-4 buy-ins in 30min to an hr.

As I said its not profit or loss until I actually cash out.

Just had a nice 11 buy-in downswing in a day, but I have to say honestly I just went to PokerTracker, looked at the positions I stacked off and basically found 2/3 were mistakes and the rest I was getting the money in good.

That reassured me that I wasn't doing too much wrong, I noted my mistakes, and hit the tables the next day where I recovered 7 of those buy-ins.

Having a stop loss of $200 on a $100 table just isn't enough. You can easily stack off 2 buy-ins in minutes if you get outdrawn/coolered. I mean you could flop 2 overs and nut flush draw, you are getting it in all the time. And vice versa flop an overpair/set and get the money in on a draw heavy board.

I think more like 5 buy-ins is a better stop loss. If you do that many buy-ins you have to stop and consider your play.

If you really want to play the next highest level and are worried about the cash, buy-in for half the amount so that it is the same buy-in in real terms. The different is you aren't going to be able to run big bluffs, its solid ABC poker at least until you double up.