Sunday 12 October 2008

Gambling in Vegas - part 2

Reaching Caesars without being sick was an achievement in itself after the previous night’s fun. My poor condition became apparent when I sat down at the tourney I had registered for and found out instead of being the $110 MTT, it was a $65 SNG (with a $15 vig!) Enjoyed joking with the table over my breakfast but only saw one playable hand, which turned out to be my last.

Moved over to the $1/$3 NLH and sat down with $400. Things went a little better, and after a tourist donated $300 to me by showing an inability to fold JJ pre against my KK I was feeling like a pro. Then this happened: UTG call, Ollie (UTG+1) – raises to $15, folds round to UTG who raises to $45 and then begins the ‘I am so weak, I just did that with shit so I will do everything I can to avoid eye contact’. So after checking his stack, about $550, I decide to flat and set-mine against his KK/AA. Flop is Q high, he bets I inadvertently like my lips and prepare to take down a big pot. He shoves to my raise and I table my set, he then tables his set as the ace peels off on the turn. Eeeek – though live poker wasn’t supposed to be rigged... I pick up the last of my chips and mope over to the craps table – the sick tilted anger was much less dangerous at a game of chance...

25 minutes later I had managed to double my day’s losses – I think I was stuck about $650. For someone who used to playing $50nl that’s quite a big loss. The hang-over was really kicking in so I decided to sleep. I woke up at about 9ish to get to my table at Picasso for dinner.

After dinner I felt even worse; I’d slept very little in the last two days, I’d drunk more free booze than I could think about without having to simultaneously quell my urge to projectile vomit and to make matters worse we now had to get to our table at Pure with a painful 1 bottle minimum. My dad’s not a spirit drinker, so I knew I’d be alone battling the $500 bottle of vodka. TBH, of all the evenings this one I remember so little about. I’m used to combating the affects of large quantities of alcohol with equally large quantities of Columbia’s finest export – however, without any trustworthy sources I had to forgo this luxury.
My next memory was of staring into the toilet bowl in our room being reminded of my evening meal course by course...

The next day I decided that it was perhaps unwise to attempt to reduce my losses with any serious gambling. We decided instead to do a bit of sightseeing starting at the Luxor and moving north. I know I was hanging out of my arsehole (and this may have altered my judgement), but I thought that Luxor was perhaps the most unimaginative building outside of the Communist Block...however, I was proven wrong when we moved on to Excalibur. However, after these two letdowns, much of the rest of the strip was as good as I’d expected – I particularly liked the MGM, Caesars, the Venetian, the Hard Rock and the Rio. – all for different reasons that I can’t really be bothered to go into.